25 Apr Video: 15 of the Top 30 Interview Bloopers (Part 1 of 2)
15 of the Top 30 Interview Bloopers (Part 1 of 2)
Good news, bad news. Bad news: The majority of job seekers are blowing it in their job interviews. And this is within your own company or looking outside in other companies. So the bar is pretty low. Now the Good News: You can stand out in interviews by being just plain old prepared. Be well-rehearsed, smart about your answers, balanced with confidence and humility and concise.
I’m Dana Manciagli, author of Cut the Crap, Get a Job! and instead of lecturing you more about the “crap” that happens in interviews why don’t I just point out the multiple bloopers.!
1. Not listening to the question.
2. Babbling on and on and on and on
3. Not having interesting questions.
4. No Passion, Low Energy.
5. Cocky, not Self-Aware or not Humble.
6. Negative about your prior company, prior boss, or prior anything.
7. Not being prepared with good ‘ole strengths and weaknesses.
8. Forgot to go for the close.
9. Slow with turnaround on a request from the Hiring Manager
10. Smelling. Onions, cigarette smoke, perfume, cologne
11. Chewing gum
12. Phone on and vibrating or ringing
13. Dressed inappropriately, sloppy
14. Nothing to write with (and I don’t mean on a PC or phone).
15. Having something to write with, but not writing anything down.
More bad news: there are more than these 30! But I thought I would stop here and cry “Cut the Crap, Get a Job!”